Thursday evening’s GOP
Debate devoted less than a minute to police brutality and the “Black Lives Matter”
According to the International Business Times, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker was given the question at the first Republican debate of the primary season. The debate was hosted in Cleveland, a city that has seen its fair share of police injustice including the death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice by police officers in Nov. 2014. Walker, a resident of a state that has a low 6.5% of African American residents, gave a clean-cut answer by focusing on police reform and not the men and women of color who have lost their lives in police custody.
Think Progress reports:
“It’s about training, it’s about making sure that law enforcement officials” have the tools and training they need, Walker responded to the question, the only time the phrase “black lives matter” was used. He also added, “there are consequences to show that we treat everyone the same in America.”
The topic of “Black Lives Matter” and the tragedies in Ferguson, Missouri, New York and Baltimore have inspired protests, rallies and outcry from all over the world. While the impact has been bigger than the social media platform where it shared its humble beginnings, the focus of “All Lives Matter” has become a save haven for those who have criticized the movement.
To make matters worse, a trailer for the N.W.A biopic, Straight Outta Compton aired right after the question was dismissed. Other ads that drew concern were travel commercials to Germany and a commercial about immigration numbers. Many took to Twitter to share their thoughts on the surreal moment.
Let us know what you thought of last night’s GOP debate in the comments below.
SOURCE: International Business Times , Think Progress | VIDEO CREDIT: NDN
Obama’s Best Instagram Moments During His Last Year As President
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Two step! President Obama dances with his half-sister Auma Obama and President Kenyatta at a state dinner during his first trip to Kenya.
1 of 25
2. Seriously, how much more down to earth can Obama and the First Lady get? Here they are rocking their alma mater t-shirts in the White House one morning.
2 of 25
3. WINNING! The exact moment President Obama heard that the Supreme Court upheld the Affordable Care Act.
3 of 25
4. Presidential Perfection! The First Family poses on the White House lawn on Easter Day 2015.
4 of 25
5. Just like us! The president swats a fly in the Oval Office.
5 of 25
6. Someone needs an umbrella. The president dodges a rainstorm as he addresses supporters in Nashville.
6 of 25
7. The president does his best “Charlie’s Angels” impression with an ensign at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy commencement in New London, Conn.
7 of 25
8. Anything you can do, I can do better. President Obama crawls around with Ella Harper Rhodes, daughter of Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes.
8 of 25
9. Presidential high fives for all!
9 of 25
10. Like seriously, who doesn’t like pizza?
10 of 25
11. Checking Twitter, perhaps? #AskPotus
11 of 25
12. The real presidential advisors.
12 of 25
13. Two peas in a pod. The president and Joe Biden always have each other’s backs.
13 of 25
14. Who’s got the power?! President Obama poses with another ensign at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy commencement.
14 of 25
15. Who wants to play the president in a game of basketball? Obama talks with students and law enforcement officials at a sit-down discussion at a New Jersey Salvation Army Community Center.
15 of 25
16. Joking around with “Gronk,” aka New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski.
16 of 25
17. Family affair! The president, the First Lady, and presidential dogs Bo and Sunny speak to a crowd at this year’s Easter Egg Roll.
17 of 25
18. Are you covered? Obama puts health first…but doesn’t he always? #Obamacare
18 of 25
19. Who knew our president was the “baby whisperer?”
19 of 25
20. It’s never too early (or late) to shoot some hoops in a suit.
20 of 25
21. Green tie. Must be St. Patrick’s Day.
21 of 25
22. Who said presidents couldn’t have fun at bars? Obama throws darts at an Atlanta tavern while waiting for his interview with VICE to begin.
22 of 25
23. Word is, President Obama is an avid tea drinker. Here he is sampling some Ethiopian coffee at the National Palace in Addis Ababa. Talk about authentic!
23 of 25
24. Boys will be boys.
24 of 25
25. We imagine Bo is politely asking POTUS to go out for just one more walk. Please??
25 of 25