It’s hard to believe that 10 years have passed since The Notebook first hit theaters.
If you’ve for some reason forgotten, this film was about the everlasting love of Noah and Allie, and based on a Nicholas Sparks novel of the same name. Oh, and we’re pretty sure it’s impossible not to cry watching this film. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling as young Allie and Noah made us believe in everlasting love. Of course, Gosling went on to star in great movies like Crazy, Stupid, Love and Drive, while McAdams moved on to other tearjerkers like The Time Traveler’s Wife and The Vow.
As much as their individual careers have grown, and as many Nicholas Sparks’ novels have been adapted to the screen since, The Notebook will always hold a special place in our hearts.
We’re here to help you fall in love with this amazingly emotional film all over again. Here are 12 reasons Allie and Noah’s story is one of the best of all time.
1. They made young love so cute. Noah literally risked his life to get her to go out on a date with him.
2. It was clear Noah would do anything for Allie, and it was so adorable.
3. Their young love was almost dangerous.
4. Like many couples, they often fought.
5. But it didn’t matter, because we knew it was out of love.
6. And yes, Allie’s fiancé Lon Hammond, played by James Marsden, was cute, but he wasn’t Noah. So we had to pass.
7. Look at how heartbroken Noah was as she kissed another man.
8. And as she flaunted her engagement ring.
9. But none of that mattered, because they were destined to be together.
10. She came back, like Noah knew she would.
11. When it became clear that the woman older Noah was reading to was in fact Allie, and that she had Alzheimer’s, it was possibly one of the saddest moments in romantic film history. It was especially sad when, for a split second, she remembered her amazing life with Noah.
12. That is, until the final scene.
In honor of the anniversary of The Notebook, you might as well watch the movie again, because you know you want to.
PHOTO CREDIT: Tumblr, IMDb