Earlier this week, Mayweather said that the NFL should have stuck with the two game suspension, and that they overreacted to the released footage of Ray Rice knocking out his now-wife Janay Rice. Mayweather Productions CEO Leonard Ellerbe pleaded with the public to stop trying to tear the boxer down for his comments.
“I think there’s a lot worse things that go on in other people’s households, also,” Mayweather said. “It’s just not caught on video, if that’s safe to say.”
Well, turns out it wasn’t safe to say. Mayweather apologized on Wednesday to anyone who felt offended by his comments, and further reiterated that domestic violence is not something he condones.
“Whoever I offended I apologize. I am only human. Domestic violence is something I don’t condone.”
Ironically, these comments come just a week after a civil lawsuit was filed by his former fiancée, Shantel Jackson, who said the fighter assaulted her and kept her from leaving his Las Vegas mansion. Back in 2012, the boxer also ran into some domestic violence trouble, spending two months in jail after pleading guilty to reduced domestic abuse charges stemming from an attack on his former girlfriend while their children watched. Mayweather claims he has been falsely accused of domestic violence plenty of times, and that there has never been any proof.
“Like I’ve said in the past, no bumps, no bruises, no nothing,” Mayweather said. “With O.J. and Nicole, you seen pictures. With Chris Brown and Rihanna, you seen pictures. With (Chad) Ochocinco and Evelyn, you seen pictures. You guys have yet to see any pictures of a battered woman, a woman who says she was kicked and beaten (by Mayweather). So I just live my life and try to stay positive, and try to become a better person each and every day.”
With a track record like Mayweather’s, there’s only one piece of advice we can give him when it comes to speaking on this Ray Rice debacle — silence is golden.
SOURCE: ESPN | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty