President Barack Obama over the summer boasted during a trip to Africa that he could win a third-term if term limits didn’t bar him from running again, but on Sunday, he said he’s not yearning to stay in office.
Besides, First Lady Michelle Obama wouldn’t allow it, he said during a wide-ranging interview with CBS Sunday Morning.
He made the statement when asked if he would seek office if third terms were not barred under the 22nd Amendment: “No. I wouldn’t,” Obama said. “Number one, Michelle wouldn’t let me.”
From ABC News:
Obama has said in the past that he believes he could win again if he was allowed to run. While he is expected to push over the next year for a Democrat to again take the White House, Obama said there’s a point when an individual becomes more prone to making mistakes by getting comfortable in office.
“This is a process in which the office should be continually renewed by new energy and new ideas and new insights,” Obama said. “And although I think I am as good of a president as I have ever been right now, I also think that there comes a point where you don’t have fresh legs.”
Obama also said there “absolutely” are days when he wonders why he ever ran for the presidency, saying there are times when he gets “tired” and “frustrated.”
The president also acknowledged that at no other point in his life would he ever have “the chance to do as much good and make as much of a difference in the lives of people” as he does now.
Click here to watch the video.
SOURCE: ABC News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
21 Of President Barack Obama's Best Photos Of 2015
1. JANUARY: President Obama delivers the State of the Union address with the support of vice president Joe Biden. Obama gained mass support after his joke about winning both terms.Source:Getty 1 of 10
2. APRIL: President Obama arrives in Jamaica to meet with the 15-member Caribbean Community. His trip marked a first for the sitting president and second since the country's independence.Source:Getty 2 of 10
3. JUNE: President Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are seen talking during the president's trip to the G7Summit in Bavaria, Germany.Source:Getty 3 of 10
4. JUNE: President Obama sings "Amazing Grace" during the eulogy for South Carolina state senator and Rev. Clementa Pinckney during Pinckney's funeral service. Clementa was one of the nine victims who died after suspected shooter Dylann Roof entered the AME church and opened fire.Source:Getty 4 of 10
5. SEPTEMBER: President Obama is featured on the popular show "Running Wild With Bear Grylls." Obama took the trip to highlight the importance of climate control.Source:Getty 5 of 10
6. SEPTEMBER: The First Couple serve as "love goals" at the White House's state dinner for Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Madame Peng Liyuan. Obama and Xi announced an agreement on controlling climate change and a mutual outlook on cyber security.Source:Getty 6 of 10
7. OCTOBER: President Obama meets with Ahmed Mohamed, the student who was detained by Texas police for his homemade clock. The president stood by the teen, who many believe was the victim of Islamophobia.Source:Getty 7 of 10
8. NOVEMBER: President Obama issues a warning to his critics who "pop off" at his policies towards Syrian refugees. Speaking at the OP 21 United Nations conference on climate change, Obama welcomed his Republican critics to the White House to lay down their own policies. No one has responded.Source:Getty 8 of 10
9. DECEMBER: President Obama addresses the public from the Oval Office regarding the San Bernardino shooting.Source:Getty 9 of 10
10. DECEMBER: All grown up! The First Family, including Obama's mother-in-law Marian Robinson, is seen at the White House's national Christmas tree lighting ceremony on Dec. 2.Source:Getty 10 of 10
Michelle Obama Would Not Allow Obama To Run For Third Term was originally published on newsone.com