The Daily Grind Video

UPDATE: Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The man shot and killed by St. Louis police on Tuesday has been identified as 25-year-old Kajieme Powell. Powell was not from St. Louis, but was visiting his grandmother, who lives there.

Police Chief Sam Dotson gave this account of the incident:

Powell walked out of the Six Stars Market, at 8701 Riverview, without paying for two energy drinks, and the store owner told him to stop. A few minutes later, Powell came back and took a package of muffins or pastries, Dotson said, adding that the store owner walked out with him and asked him to pay for the items. Powell started throwing the items on the street and sidewalk. St. Louis Alderman Dionne Flowers, who works at a nearby beauty shop, witnessed the encounter and told officers the man was acting erratically and was grabbing at his waistband.

Dotson said the store owner and the alderman said the suspect was “armed with a knife, acting erratically, pacing back and forth in the street, talking to himself.”

Employees at the market and the beauty shop called 911. Two arriving officers ordered Powell to get down, but he became more agitated and walked toward them, reaching for his waistband. Witnesses told police the man was yelling, “Shoot me, kill me now,” during the encounter, Dotson said.

The officers drew their weapons and ordered Powell to stop. He did stop, but then pulled out a knife and came at the officers, gripping and holding it high, Dotson said. They ordered him to stop and drop the knife. When he got within 2 or 3 feet of the officers, they fired, killing Powell.

“This is a lethal range for a knife,” Dotson said.

No officers were hurt in the altercation. Both were placed on administrative duty pending an investigation.




According to St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Chief Sam Dotson, the shooting victim is a 23-year-old black male.

“The suspect was acting erratically, Dotson said. “He came at one of two officers with a knife and said ‘Shoot me, kill me now,'” Dotson said.

Dotson also said officers warned the suspect multiple times to put down his weapon before they shot and killed him.

The man continued to refuse the officer’s commands, approached within three to four feet of them with the knife in an attack posture.

Both officers opened fire on the suspect killing him.   No officers were injured.



A St. Louis man, who authorities say tried to rob the 5-Star Market convenience store with a knife, was shot and killed by police on Tuesday afternoon.

The shooting occurred just miles from Ferguson, where protests surrounding the death of Michael Brown have waged for over a week and a half.

According to the police chief, the suspect brandished a knife at officers. No officers were injured and an investigation is ongoing, St. Louis police chief Sam Dotson announced on Twitter. A large group was gathering around the residential neighborhood where the shooting occurred.

This is a developing story. We’ll keep you updated with the latest.


A Week Of Protest For Michael Brown: Ferguson, Missouri In Pictures (PHOTOS)
Global Grind Logo G
0 photos