A candidate running for the Texas State Board of Education — who, if elected, will determine what goes into children’s textbooks — is facing backlash over comments made on social media about President Obama and the Civil War
The Washington Post reports comments made by Mary Lou Bruner resurfaced after it was predicted the retired schoolteacher would win the bid to run against Democratic candidate Keven Ellis for a seat on the board. In a series of Facebook posts last June, Bruner voiced her opinions on climate change, the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and the reason for the Civil War.
One of her most troubling comments was made in October 2015 about Obama and his relationship with the LGBT community. The 68-year-old claimed Obama previously engaged in sex with men for money.
via The Washington Post:
Obama has a soft spot for homosexuals because of the years he spent as a male prostitute in his twenties. That is how he paid for his drugs…Since he supports gay marriage, he should be proud of his background as a homosexual/bisexual. He is against everything else Christians stand for, he might as well be for infidelity.
Bruner was first introduced to the education board in 2010 when she attended a council meeting on textbooks. She holds a Masters of Education degree from East Texas State University and spent over 30 years as a teacher in the Texas public school system. The Texas native expressed concerns that Middle Eastern consumers were trying to gain influence over the state’s curriculum.
via The Washington Post:
Her statements were introduced by board member Lawrence Allen (D): “You believe … people from the Middle East are buying, using their dollars, to persuade textbook publishers to put more —”
“I think the Middle Easterners are buying the textbooks!” Bruner said, wide-eyed. “They’re buying everything else here.”
“So, they’re buying the, the morality of the —”
“I think they’re using their influence to get what they want in the textbooks,” Bruner nodded.
So aside from the obvious, why are Bruner’s comments so disturbing?
The Texas State Board of Education has proven in the past to have a substantial amount of influence on what goes into textbooks distributed across the state and the entire nation. When asked about her comments the candidate said, “I don’t intend to apologize for my opinions because I still believe my statements are accurate.” Bruner’s political agenda aims towards conservative curriculum standards and “protecting the children’s textbook fund from lobbyists.”
Dan Quinn, communications director for advocacy group the Texas Freedom Network, shared his thoughts on Bruner’s comments.
via The Washington Post:
“I have a hard time believing that most people in east Texas think Obama was a gay prostitute,” Quinn said. “Those kinds of comments are so outside of the mainstream, but most people in the mainstream don’t vote. The people who vote in primaries are the conspiracy theorists. Not all of them, but a good number of them.”
Social conservatives have dominated the State Board of Education for some time — the seat for which Bruner is running used to be occupied by creationist Don McLeroy — but few have been quite as outspoken or inflammatory as Bruner.
“The others are a bit more careful about how outrageous their public comments are,” said Quinn, who had “no doubt” that if elected, Bruner would “bring her agenda with her” in curriculum discussions.
While the runoff isn’t until May, Bruner currently has 48 percent of the vote in the recent three-person GOP primary.
SOURCE: The Washington Post | VIDEO CREDIT: Inform
SEE ALSO: Obama Will Stay In D.C. After Presidency
21 Of President Barack Obama's Best Photos Of 2015
1. JANUARY: President Obama delivers the State of the Union address with the support of vice president Joe Biden. Obama gained mass support after his joke about winning both terms.Source:Getty 1 of 21
2. JANUARY: President Barack Obama has an adorable moment with Akira Cooper at the Community Children's Center, one of the nation's oldest Head Start providers, in Lawrence, Kan.Source:Pete Souza 2 of 21
3. JANUARY: President Obama greets Prime Minister Narendra Modi upon arrival at Air Force Station Palam in New Delhi, India.Source:Pete Souza 3 of 21
4. JANUARY: President Barack Obama greets neighbors after visiting a model home at the Nueva Villas at Beverly, a single-family housing development owned by local nonprofit organization Chicanos Por La Causa Inc. in Phoenix, Ariz.Source:Pete Souza 4 of 21
5. FEBRUARY: President Barack Obama fakes a jump shot during an Affordable Care Act video taping for BuzzFeed in the White House Library. The video went viral thanks to jokes about his presidency and ultra-cool swag.Source:Pete Souza 5 of 21
6. FEBRUARY: Obama pals around with one of his biggest supporters, vice president Joe Biden. While he chose not to run in the 2016 presidential election, Obama said he would be in his corner.Source:Pete Souza 6 of 21
7. FEBRUARY: President Barack Obama talks with 13-year-old student Vidal Chastanet as "Humans of New York" founder Brandon Stanton photographs during a blog interview in the Oval Office. Obama was greatly inspired by Chastanet's comments on the popular "Humans of New York" Instagram page, where he shared his troubles finding courage in school and and life despite living in a dangerous area of Brooklyn, NY.Source:Pete Souza 7 of 21
8. MARCH: President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama join hands with Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga. as they lead the walk across the Edmund Pettus Bridge to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday and the Selma to Montgomery civil rights marches, in Selma, Ala., March 7, 2015. Malia and Sasha Obama join hands with their grandmother, Marian Robinson.Source:Pete Souza 8 of 21
9. MARCH: Obama is a classic man as he puts on a green tie in observance of St. Patrick's Day.Source:Pete Souza 9 of 21
10. MARCH: President Barack Obama delivers remarks during the event to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday and the Selma to Montgomery civil rights marches at the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Ala.Source:Pete Souza 10 of 21
11. APRIL: During the Correspondents' Dinner, his anger translator - played by Key & Peele comedian Keegan-Michael Key - helped Obama get out his biggest frustrations.Source:Pete Souza 11 of 21
12. APRIL: President Obama arrives in Jamaica to meet with the 15-member Caribbean Community. His trip marked a first for the sitting president and second since the country's independence.Source:Getty 12 of 21
13. APRIL: Obama speaks with newly appointed Attorney General Loretta Lynch in the Oval Office.Source:Pete Souza 13 of 21
14. JUNE: President Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are seen talking during the president's trip to the G7Summit in Bavaria, Germany.Source:Getty 14 of 21
15. JUNE: President Obama sings "Amazing Grace" during the eulogy for South Carolina state senator and Rev. Clementa Pinckney during Pinckney's funeral service. Clementa was one of the nine victims who died after suspected shooter Dylann Roof entered the AME church and opened fire.Source:Getty 15 of 21
16. SEPTEMBER: President Obama is featured on the popular show "Running Wild With Bear Grylls." Obama took the trip to highlight the importance of climate control.Source:Getty 16 of 21
17. SEPTEMBER: The First Couple serve as "love goals" at the White House's state dinner for Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Madame Peng Liyuan. Obama and Xi announced an agreement on controlling climate change and a mutual outlook on cyber security.Source:Getty 17 of 21
18. OCTOBER: President Obama meets with Ahmed Mohamed, the student who was detained by Texas police for his homemade clock. The president stood by the teen, who many believe was the victim of Islamophobia.Source:Getty 18 of 21
19. NOVEMBER: President Obama issues a warning to his critics who "pop off" at his policies towards Syrian refugees. Speaking at the OP 21 United Nations conference on climate change, Obama welcomed his Republican critics to the White House to lay down their own policies. No one has responded.Source:Getty 19 of 21
20. DECEMBER: President Obama addresses the public from the Oval Office regarding the San Bernardino shooting.Source:Getty 20 of 21
21. DECEMBER: All grown up! The First Family, including Obama's mother-in-law Marian Robinson, is seen at the White House's national Christmas tree lighting ceremony on Dec. 2.Source:Getty 21 of 21
Candidate Running For Texas State Board Of Education Previously Called President Obama ‘A Gay Prostitute’ was originally published on newsone.com