The Boston Marathon bombing this past week left the nation shocked, confused, and full of unanswered questions.
The city is resting easier as Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in a gun battle with authorities, some reports claiming his brother ran over him as he then fled the scene. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev now remains in serious condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital after being captured not far away from his brother death scene, hiding in a boat, Friday night.
As more investigation takes place more information on the suspects has emerged and we’ve learned a bit of the background on both of the suspects. Both brothers were Chechen-born, as well as college students who infrequently attended religious services.
None of us, including their close and personal friends and family, know what led both of them to go through with the heinous act this past Monday but the following information can possibly give authorities a better understanding.
- Tamerlan was unconscious and had many penetrating wounds when he arrived at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center early Friday and it isn’t clear which ones killed him
- According to Huffington Post, he wanted individual glory in the boxing ring and was well trained.
- Reports claim, he once ranted at a neighbor at a pizza shop, arguing with him about U.S. foreign policy, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and religion.
- A visitor to the brothers’ home claims Tamerlan “swaggered” through the family home like a “man-of-the-house type” while his brother seemed very obedient to their mother
- Tamerlan was a protective older sibling when it came to his sister Bella, “making sure she’s not having a hard time.”
- Friends say he had to “be a man at a very early age” and “would be a huge reason for what he is”
- Would throw out words such as “jihad” and “Inshallah”, but would not worship at a mosque
- Reports claim he was known and was very good at arguing the U.S. foreign policy, Afghanistan, Iraq, and religion
- The bombing suspect reportedly had nothing “against American people”, but “something against American government”
- FBI was told he was a believer in “radical Islam”
- Tamerlan had a falling out with his uncle over his increased committment to Islam
- Medical officials are not sure which of his wounds killed him
- About three months ago, around Martin Luther King Day, Tamerlan stood up and interrupted the imam during the sermon when he compared the slain civil rights leads to the Prophet Muhammed, he was soon kicked out of the mosque.
-He took a six-month trip in 2012 to Chechnya and Dagestan. He left via Kennedy Airport in January 2012 and returned in July.
-On Wednesday, two days after the bombing of the Boston Marathon, he spent the day working out at the gym, and sleeping in his dorm at school while law enforcement officials frantically scanned photos trying to identify the men who planted the deadly bombs.
- According to a fellow student, he also attended a party with his intramural soccer friends that same night. She says “He was just relaxed,”
- According to the NY Times, Dzhokar was a good student during high school, but was failing some of his classes at UMass Dartmouth during the time of the bombing, his transcript showing seven failing grades over two semesters.
- He spoke English well, with only a trace of an accent.
- Pamala Rolon, 22, a UMass Dartmouth senior and a resident assistant says
she and her friends watched the news showing the images of the suspects, including one she thought looked faintly like Tsarnaev. She says, “We made a joke like — that could be Dzhokhar,” she said. “But then we thought it just couldn’t be him. Dzhokhar? Never.”
-While his older brother did boxing individually, Dzhokhar participated in wrestling with a team
- According to the Huffington Post, Dzhokhar, relished debating people on religion, “then crushing their beliefs with facts.”
-Reportedly interested in Chechen independence movements