We may not need to wait on a grand jury decision to arrest George Zimmerman! The special prosecutor in the Trayvon Martin case said she hopes to make a decision without a grand jury about whether to arrest Zimmerman.
Angela Corey, the state attorney in the Duval, Clay and Nassau counties of Florida, took over the case Thursday and told the Miami Herald:
“I always lean towards moving forward without needing the grand jury in a case like this. I foresee us being able to make a decision and move on it on our own.”
A Seminole County grand jury had been scheduled to hear the case April 10.
From what we’ve seen and what has been reported, Corey may have enough evidence to go ahead and arrest Zimmerman without waiting on the grand jury.
Trayvon was walking through a gated community Feb. 26 when a neighborhood watch volunteer, 28-year-old George Zimmerman, began following him and called a police dispatcher, describing Trayvon as suspicious.
A few minutes later, the two got into a fight that several neighbors reported hearing, and Zimmerman shot the Miami Gardens 17-year-old once in the chest.
Sanford police say he told them he acted in self-defense, saying he had stopped following the teenager and was on his way back to his SUV when Trayvon approached him from the rear. They exchanged words, the teenager punched him in the nose, causing Zimmerman to hit the ground, then began hammering his head into a sidewalk.
Zimmerman was bleeding from the nose and back of his head when police arrived, according to an incident report.
But new video surfaced showing Zimmerman at the Sanford police station, suggesting he was not bleeding from a bloody nose.
Trayvon’s family has demanded Zimmerman’s arrest, and their campaign has been joined by national civil rights leaders, including the Rev. Jesse Jackson, as well as members of Congress. Thousands of supporters have turned out at rallies across the country.
Please join our Facebook page we have created: Justice For Trayvon Martin
For more on Trayvon Martin, click on the links below.