In a hearing today attended by George Zimmerman‘s attorneys, Mark O’Mara told the judge that he would not use the two weeks set aside for the scheduled “Stand Your Ground” hearing in April.
That means that Zimmerman will not have a separate hearing and he will claim self-defense during his June 2013 trial.
Attorneys were also in court to hear the judge’s decision on whether or not they would be allowed to access the medical records of the state’s most important witness, the young lady Trayvon was speaking with on the phone before he was fatally shot.
However, defense lawyer Don West made a startling claim shortly after the hearing began: The state had revealed, before the hearing, that there are no medical records.
The woman, the defense lawyer said, “misrepresented” in a sworn statement that she missed Trayvon’s funeral because she had been hospitalized.
“In fact, she lied,” West said.
Prosecutor John Guy confirmed there will be no medical records, effectively confirming that there was no hospital trip.
O’Mara is trying to delve into the young woman’s background and investigate her. He has already convinced the judge to allow him to subpoena her Twitter and Facebook accounts so he can read her posts.
The trial will be held on June 10, 2013.