The Wood was released on July 16, 1999. And yes, it’s hard to believe 15 years have passed since the film hit theaters and we all witnessed the tight friendship between Mike, Slim, and Roland.
In case you didn’t know, The Wood is arguably one of the most underrated films of the ’90s, and features a not-yet-all-star cast of Taye Diggs, Omar Epps, Richard T. Jones, and even has cameos from Sanaa Lathan and Tamala Jones.
Mike’s flashbacks to his childhood when he first met Slim and Roland, and his young relationship with Alicia, are reasons enough to love this movie. We grew up with this flick; we learned how to love and we learned the meaning of friendship.
And if you’re like us, you know all the words to this one. So we decided to highlight some of the most unforgettable quotes from The Wood. Take a look!
1. “Ms. Hughes, what page fifteen on?” –Young Slim
2. “Now, any other day time drags during the last period. But not today. Naw, time was on crack today!” -Mike
3. “Uhhhh, what set you from, man? You know.” -Young Roland
“Uh, I don’t know anything about any sets. I’m from North Carolina.” -Young Mike
“Oh, word? North Carolina. That’s why he sound like Willie Nelson.” -Young Slim
4. “You think my sister a ho or somethin’? You think she a fuckin’ toy?” -Stacey
“Naw, man I think she purdy!” -Young Mike
5. “Weed is universal. Name me one race that don’t smoke bud.” -Stacey
6. “Life’s funny sometimes. You just don’t want it laughin’ at you.” -Boo
7. “You would’ve sworn they were professors at Harvard. They had breath mints down to a science.” -Mike
And who could forget the pizza scenes?
8. “Man, why do you always do that? If you want the last piece, why did you ask me if I want the last piece?” -Roland
“I didn’t ask you. But the reason I asked Mike is the same reason you asked Lisa to marry you- it sounds nice, man.” -Slim
Check out the gallery to see what the cast has been up to since the film.
PHOTO CREDIT: IMDb, Tumblr