Last Thursday, Adult Swim’s newest show Black Jesus premiered and brought in over two million viewers, as well as an onslaught of criticism for an unorthodox depiction of Jesus Christ.
In fact, the Christian Network has even gone so far as to create a petition on Change.org to prevent the series from airing.
Despite the controversy swirling around another Aaron McGruder genius creation, it’s actually a solid show. If you aren’t watching Black Jesus, here are 10 reasons why you should.
1. Charlie Murphy makes his return to TV.
2. Aaron McGruder’s genius makes up for the disappointing mediocre fourth season of The Boondocks.
3. There’s no funnier show on television at the moment.
4. Black Jesus actually has a positive message about spreading love and kindness.
5. There are bottles of Olde English 40 ounces in almost every scene.
6. The satire is brilliantly funny.
7. For the first time in over 2000 years, there is a non-white portrayal of Jesus. Amen.
8. It has an old school 1970s theme song as its intro.
9. It’s the perfect show to watch right before turning up or turning down on a Thursday night.
10. Did we mention it was hilarious?
Watch Black Jesus every Thursday night on Adult Swim at 11 p.m. EST.
PHOTO SOURCE: Giphy.com
Meet The 2023 McDonald's Black and Positively Golden Change Leaders: 10 Young, Black Leaders Who Are Leading The Way to a Better Future
The AT&T Rising Future Makers Showcase Is Now Open: HBCU Students, Enter For A Chance To Win $5,000
WTF! Bashid McLean Poses For A Photo With His Mother's Decapitated Head! (PHOTOS)
Watch: BET+ Debuts 'First Lady of BMF: Tonesha Welch Story' Trailer & First Look Photos
GOATED: Happy 42nd Birthday To Serena Williams!
HORRIFIC! Footage Shows Two Girls Brutally Beating 16-Year-Old Before Holding Her Down To Be Raped (GRAPHIC)
22 Memorable Nip Slips & Wardrobe Malfunctions You HAVE To See Now
Happy Eggplant Friday! Here Are 26 Celebrity D*ck Pics To Start Your Weekend