Fabolous will rep Brooklyn ’til the death of him, especially where basketball is concerned.
The Bed-Stuy native recently sat with Rolling Stone for the last installment of The Die-Hards, a four-part video series that aims to bring together athletes and musicians “to celebrate fandom in all its forms.” While talking about the connection between basketball and his upbringing, Fab also discussed the art and passion behind b-ball and its relation to his music.
The proud dad expounds upon his respect for Michael Jordan and Allen Iverson, who he says “broke the mold of the Magic Johnson/Larry Bird era.” Check out a few highlights below, plus the chat in its entirety via the clip above.
On being linked to the Brooklyn Nets through music:
Just seeing the words ‘Brooklyn’ on the jersey, the people there in the stands, the people of Brooklyn, and the people working there – I’ve seen people I grew up with working in the stadium – it’s dope they kept it in the community,” he says. “There’s a chant I started on a song, maybe in ’04, it goes ‘Brook-lyn! Brook-lyn!’ and they actually use that chant to rile the crowd up. It’s really dope to hear that.”
On Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, and Stephon Marbury transcending NBA culture:
Basketball has a culture to it, it has a swagger to it. Michael Jordan broke the mold of the Magic Johnson/Larry Bird era – he came in and he had a gold chain, he wore longer shorts and his sneakers were a different style,” he explains. “It translated through, and we got to where Allen Iverson was, where he looked just like some of the guys you’re hanging out with. A lot of streetball guys started being able to navigate their way to the NBA, too. Stephon Marbury actually played at my housing project, so it’s a deeper connection.
On the art of basketball:
“There’s an art to basketball; there’s a passion to it,” he continues. “I relate it to everything I’m doing; I’m a student of hip-hop. Every day you learn something and you want to teach it to somebody else. Keep everybody learning.”
You’ve got to love him.
SOURCE: Rolling Stone | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
41 Photos Of Fabolous & Emily B.'s Fabulous Hip-Hop Family
39 photos Launch gallery
1. Fabolous and Em body his '90s party.
1 of 39
2. Christmas at the Jacksons'.
2 of 39
3. Girls night out! Like mother, like daughter.
3 of 39
4. When you flossin' at the NBA All-Stars like a Young OG.
4 of 39
5. When you can't be any happier...
5 of 39
6. Loso watching Joso's back at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week.
6 of 39
7. Perfect pic.
7 of 39
8. On The Run! It's like Hov got Bey, it's like Bey got Jigga.
8 of 39
9. Emily and Fabolous' twins.
9 of 39
10. Emily B. helps her son celebrate Incredible Kids Day at school.
10 of 39
11. Fab celebrates another stylish Father's Day with the family.
11 of 39
12. Fun in the sun with Prince Joso!
12 of 39
13. When you're too cool for school...
13 of 39
14. Happy Halloween!
14 of 39
15. When you've mastered the family selfie.
15 of 39
16. Fabolous hits the courts & his son congratulates him on the win.
16 of 39
17. No shade.
17 of 39
18. Joso says goodnight to his beautiful mama.
18 of 39
19. Emily hangs out with her mini-me, Taina.
19 of 39
20. Joso graduates from Kindergarten!
20 of 39
21. The kiddies help Em celebrate Mother's Day.
21 of 39
22 of 39
23. Father's Day love.
23 of 39
24. Em's babies.
24 of 39
25. Joso wishes Taina a happy 16th birthday.
25 of 39
26. Taina is "16 in the City!"
26 of 39
27. #TheGreatFabsby. Happy Birthday Fab!
27 of 39
28. When your kisses are just too amazing.
28 of 39
29. When Fab is your father.
29 of 39
30. Another perfect Mother's Day flick.
30 of 39
31. Happy Halloween.
31 of 39
32. Taina turns 17.
32 of 39
33. The Young OGs.
33 of 39
34. Fab is hot up in the 6 right now.
34 of 39
35. The heir to Fab's throne - Joso, in case you didn't know so.
35 of 39
36. "When you GRATEFUL but you know people are HATEFUL... #HappyThanksgiving #BeGratefulNotHateful #PrinceJoso #KingLoso"
36 of 39
37. Fab's Versace hottie.
37 of 39
38. No shade, no shade.
38 of 39
39. The latest addition to their family.
39 of 39