So this is happening.
Seth Rogen and James Franco are getting some harsh criticism from Pyongyang for their newest movie, The Interview, in which the two play a TV host and producer sent to North Korea to assassinate leader Kim Jong-un.
In fact, officials are calling it “an act of war.”
“The act of making and screening such a movie that portrays the attack on our top leadership… is a most wanton act of terror and act of war, and is absolutely intolerable,” a foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement cited by AFP. He also threatened a “resolute and merciless response” if the film is not banned by the U.S. government.
The statement was released via the official Korean Central News Agency, which last month called President Obama a “wicked black monkey.”
Talk about shade from both ends.
From the Huffington Post:
The response comes days after Kim Myong Chol, executive director of The Centre for North Korea-U.S. Peace and an “unofficial spokesman” for the regime, also denounced the film.
“There is a special irony in this storyline as it shows the desperation of the U.S. government and American society,” Kim Myong Chol said. “A film about the assassination of a foreign leader mirrors what the U.S. has done in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Ukraine. And let us not forget who killed [President John F.] Kennedy — Americans. In fact, President [Barack] Obama should be careful in case the U.S. military wants to kill him as well.”
Chol also said Kim Jung-un plans on screening the film — an announcement that led to this response from funny man Rogen:
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) June 20, 2014
People don’t usually wanna kill me for one of my movies until after they’ve paid 12 bucks for it. Hiyooooo!!!
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) June 25, 2014
But the film, set for release in October, has many worried that the two actors could trigger a conflict with North Korea. It’s unlikely, but do you think they went a bit far this time?
Sound off below…
SOURCE: Huffington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter