Kenneth and Jacquelyn Johnson face charges of interference with government property for blocking the entrance to the Lowndes County Courthouse with five other family members shortly after Kendrick was found dead at his high school. The family, who call themselves the “KJ7,” according to attorney Chevene King, took to the courthouse after local investigators refused to provide details surrounding their son’s death.
Footage published on YouTube shows authorities arresting family members who held hands, blocking a door to the courthouse. Another video posted to a Kendrick Johnson tribute page on Facebook shows family members later, inside the courthouse, joining hands in front of the checkpoint. The family and others can be heard chanting, “No justice, no peace,” as officers step in to arrest them.
The April 25, 2013 incident left them behind bars. They were released on bond shortly after. Now, the KJ7 could face up to a year in prison or a $1,000 fine.
There are no plans to entertain any potential plea deals, King told CNN.
Earlier this year, Kendrick’s parents filed a $100 million lawsuit against their son’s former classmates, claiming a number of them beat Kendrick to death inside the high school gym. According to CNN, the suit names 37 people, “mostly members of local law enforcement, plus the city of Valdosta as defendants.”
If you recall, the Lowndes County Sheriff’s Office closed the investigation into Kendrick’s death in May 2013, calling his death an accident. At the family’s request, a pathologist conducted a second autopsy and found that the 17-year-old died of non-accidental blunt force trauma.
Kendrick’s death was ruled a homicide. Michael Moore, the U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Georgia, launched a federal investigation into the teen’s mysterious death.
“We know who killed him. We just have to prove it,” Johnson’s mother, Jacquelyn Johnson, told CNN.
The investigation is ongoing. For more on the mysterious details surrounding Kendrick’s death, click here.
SOURCE: CNN | PHOTO CREDIT: Facebook