As the holiday season quickly approaches, many of us are looking forward to spending some quality time with our families. However, with the abundance of technology surrounding us, we often find that our quality time becomes consumed by our laptops, cell phones and televisions. It’s easy to take family time for granted but it’s always better to cherish moments with our loved ones and come back to some of our favorite TV shows later. So, to help you out, we’ve come up with ten fun ways you can detach from technology and spend some time with family instead.
1. Play Games – Once upon a time, there was life before iPhones and way before there was an “app for that,” families would gather around and play board/card games. Little did you know, they still make games and people still actively play them together. So, dust off your Uno cards and find all of your Monopoly pieces, playing games as a family is the best way to pass the time.
2. Community Service – The holidays are a time for giving back. Nothing will warm your heart like a little volunteer work. Whether you’re putting in a few hours at a homeless shelter or handing out gifts at your local church, the spirit of giving will have you and your family forgetting all about what’s on TV.
3. Host a Family Talent Show – Call up Uncle Tookie and Aunt Brenda because it’s time to show out for an audience! Everybody is good at something, so why not showcase your skills in front of the entire family? Best case scenario: You’ll have a ton of fun and lasting memories. Worst case scenario: You’ll be so good the entire family becomes jealous and disowns you. I’m betting on the first scenario.
4. Decorate As a Family – Putting up holiday decorations as a family isn’t something you only see on cheesy Christmas movies. It’s a great opportunity to bond with your loved ones, sing a few Christmas carols off-key and start new traditions you can pass down to your children someday.
5. Dine Out As a Family – No need to spend the holidays cooped in the house, you can always pack up your fam and head to your favorite restaurant for dinner. Get some great food and engage in good conversation. The energy is always amazing when you get out of the house sometimes.