One of the biggest cheerleaders you can be blessed with as a queer and trans person is a supportive parent. If you’re a Black parent, it’s especially instrumental. Oftentimes, the Black community receives the stigma of being the more homophobic community in comparison to say, white communities. But let’s be clear….
Homophobia and transphobia are rampant amongst all races.
The bigot that just left the White House, for example, proves white folks are quite familiar with homophobia and transphobia. Throughout his time in office, Donald Trump enacted and promoted sweeping moves that threatened queer and trans people’s lives. There’s a whole list, which you can check out at the Human Rights Campaign.
Meanwhile, one of the biggest hashtags to come out of the 21st century, #BlackLivesMatter, was co-founded by two queer Black women — Alicia Garza and Patrisse Cullors. The movement #BlackLivesMatter would inspire is undeniable and its leaders continue to be made up of many queer and trans people.
With that being said, it’s key that Black queer and trans kids receive all the love and support needed to persist in an anti-Black world and an anti-queer and trans world. As the fight for equity continues for all marginalized groups, many Black celebrity parents are setting the example on how to support your child. Although things like income, culture and access will always impact how a queer or trans child can be supported, sometimes support just starts with celebrating them.
Check out the photos below of Black celebrity parents loving their kids and showing their ally-ship with the LGBTQ community.
1. Marlon Wayans and his daughter Amai, who identifies as a member of the LGBTQ community.
2. Dwyane Wade and his kid Zaya, who revealed recently that she is transgender and goes by “she” and “her” pronouns.
3. Magic Johnson and his son E.J. Johnson who was publicly outed as gay in 2013.
4. Isiah Thomas and his son Zeke Thomas, who came out as gay to his dad in 2008 during college.
5. Sade and her son Izaak Theo Adu, who revealed he’s transgender in 2016.
6. Cynthia Bailey’ and her daughter Noelle Robinson, who revealed she’s sexually fluid in 2019.
7. Actor Khary Payton and his son Karter, who wanted his dad to share with the world that he identifies as a boy.
Black History Month 2023: Today's Freedom Fighters
22 Memorable Nip Slips & Wardrobe Malfunctions You HAVE To See Now
20 Of Our Favorite Celebrity Nipples (NSFW PHOTOS)
Happy Eggplant Friday! Here Are 26 Celebrity D*ck Pics To Start Your Weekend
Joining The Bad Girls Club? Natalie Nunn Sex Tape Being Shopped! (DETAILS)
I've Never Had A Twitter Account: Dave Chappelle Recounts His Hilarious "Beef" With Katt Williams
Solange Don't Play Bout Her Big Sis Beyoncé: Check Out This Hilarious Viral Story About The Knowles Family
What's Next For The Black Mafia Family? 'BMF' Season Two Finale Recap