Forget it’s Monday. Forget about this terrible winter weather. Today is Missy Elliott Appreciation Day.
The Super Bowl XLIX halftime show went down with any power outages and nip slips last night, but it didn’t lack some much-needed nostalgia, either.
Prism pop star Katy Perry surprised the world when she brought out five-time Grammy winner Missy Elliott. It’s been 10 long years since Missy released her sixth studio album, The Cookbook, but the Virginia native hit the Super Bowl stage like she never left.
Some people say Missy “stole the show,” others claim they don’t even know who she is, but one thing’s for sure, we miss the hell out of Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott.
Due to the success of her Super Bowl performance, three of Missy’s award-winning singles “Get Ur Freak On,” “Lose Control,” and “Work It” are all back on the iTunes top 10 chart. Good for her.
With the nation’s average gas prices teetering around $2 and Missy Elliott’s surprise performance last night, I think it’s safe to say this is the closest we’ll ever get to 2004.
Check out every time Missy Elliott was ahead of the curve below.
1. When She Performed In A Black Trash Bag.
2. These Finger Waves.
3. Everything Missy & Timbaland Ever Created.
4. All Of Missy’s Collaborations With Aaliyah.
5. Missy’s Singing/Rapping. Sorry Kids, Drake Didn’t Invent The Sing/Rap Formula.
6. Missy’s Ad-libs (hee hee hee hee hee how).
7. Flying Through The Air…Far Before It Became A Trendy Performance Stunt.
8. She Knew Beyonce Was Going To Be…
…the QUEEN BEY before Beyonce did.
9. When She Started Wearing Adidas Tracksuits Before Tracksuits Were “Back.”
10. The Time She Gave Lil Mo Her First Big Break….
Long Before This… (Look At Tiny Before All The Work).
11. Missy Always Had The Best…
Music Videos. (Who rips off their own head and keeps dancing?) Melissa, that’s who.
12. And The Best…
Please Come Back Missy, So We Can Get More Of This…
…Instead Of This.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images, Giphy